The Utility Model consists of endowing an object with a structure from which some utility or practical operative advantage additional to that already invented is derived.The Utility Model protects inventions with a lesser degree of inventiveness than Patents.
DURATION OF A UTILITY MODEL
The duration term of the exclusivity of a Utility Model is 10 years, starting from the date of its official presentation. Its validity is dependent on the yearly payment of certain maintenance costs.
Within approximately three months of the application, the claims and drawings are officially published in order to establish a two-month term for public opposition, and after this period has elapsed without any opposition or objection, they are officially granted.
WHAT DO WE NEED TO APPLY FOR A UTILITY MODEL?
To be able to submit a utility model application, you need:
- The BACKGROUND, which in the applicant’s opinion, exists in the market and is related to the invention.
- A DRAFT describing the purpose of the invention, stressing the elements comprising the novelty to be protected, with details of operation and application.
- A number of explanatory DRAWINGS, if available, whenever possible indicating numerical references correlating to the principal components or parts.
- A DESCRIPTION of the “preferred embodiment of the invention”.
- A signed authorisation, in the format available via this link
All the rest, just leave it in our hands; we’ll prepare the whole dossier so that you won’t have to worry about anything. Once the specification has been prepared by our technical team, we’ll send it to you by e-mail, together with the definitive drawings, so that the owner can check it before officially submitting the dossier.
FAQs on Utility Models
What is a utility model?
A utility model is also an exclusive right granted to an invention with a lesser degree of inventiveness, consisting of providing an object with a structure from which some usefulness is derived.
Request commitment-free information
Patent your idea or innovation in Spain or on an international level, thus preventing its exploitation by third parties.