Registration of Domain and Email Names
Internet domain names are a new distinguishing mark which has taken shape as the digital trademark on the Web, gaining vital importance in the influence of companies, thus reinforcing the registered Trademarks in Industrial Property.
Fundamentally, these are classified into three types of domains:
- Generic top-level domains: .com, .net, .org, .cat, etc…
- Country-code second-level domains: corresponding to territories; .es, .fr, .it, .de, etc…
- New gTLD domains: .madrid, .paris, .shop .sports, etc…
REGISTRATION OF gTLD DOMAIN NAMES
The Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH) is the sole official mechanism for controlling Trademarks on the Internet, this being essential for any registered Trademark desiring protection against a new domain application during the Sunrise period.
This is the mechanism foreseen for the control of registered Trademarks against new gTLDs, with two main aims:
- Centralising the Trademark verification data, in order to be able to carry out the registration of new domains in each gTLD.
- Notifying the owner of the trademark(s) via the alert service in the event of identity, in order to file a possible claim.
When registering your trademark at the TMCH, you can apply for the corresponding domain during the different Sunrise phases of the new gTLDs. No need to go through a validation process for each new extension, or to pay extra validation costs.
NEW gTLD DOMAINS
The new gTLD domains made available by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) are organised as follows:
- 66 geographic: (.madrid; .paris; etc…)
- 1664 standard: (.shop; .sports; etc…)
- 84 communities: (.gay; .green; etc…)
- 116 IDN special characters: 新聞 (news) شبكة (web)
There will be approximately 90 new gTLDs with commonly-used Spanish words:
- .juegos (games)
- .tienda (shop)
- .tienda (shop)
- .viajes (travel)
- .casa (home/house)
- .futbol (football)
- .latino (Latin)
- .hoteles (hotels)
ADVANTAGES OF REGISTERING A gTLD DOMAIN
- These new gTLDs provide an opportunity to register brand names, names of products, etc… and as many denominations as may be of interest to your company.
- These gTLDs will be released in the order in which they are drawn, and will be based on a pre-registration phase (Sunrise), which will last approximately 60 days, prior to their launch.
- The possibility will be provided to register as Domain Names the registered Trademarks before the public can register them, and this will enable the holders/owners of the Trademark names to be notified when a domain coinciding with the trademark has been registered.
- Those Trademarks in use that are denominative or mixed, and are registered at a national or regional level of any country, can be registered; however, graphic trademarks cannot be registered. Trademarks protected by laws or by Treaties, trademarks validated by means of legal proceedings or by a Court of Justice, and finally any trademark that is an intellectual property right.
Request commitment-free information
If you have any doubts or would like to receive further information, you can contact us at:
91 576 33 34 (Fax)